Talk to me about engraving...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talk to me about engraving...

About 100 years ago; I got a magnesium shell from Tim (Mckenziedrums) and then my business went to hell and everything went on hold (except bailing water and fighting fire to keep a roof over my family’s head).

Things are good now but the shell has sat on the shelf ever since and at last I think I might just be ready to do something with it. I intended to engrave it with a pattern and I guess that is what I will still do -but before I dive in- I’d be pleased to hear your recommendations on how best to proceed.

I was thinking a dremel and free hand but any tips or pointers would be great as I’ve not done any engraving before. I’m not doing a picture or angel wings or anything like that, just aiming to do a sort of maze of shapes.
    Attached Files
    I’m Luke... a GN equal opportunity offender.

Sooy has some cool methods!

Comment

Yeah the type of engraving I do is called wriggle engraving. Very hard to learn and takes years!

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Sooy View Post
        Yeah the type of engraving I do is called wriggle engraving. Very hard to learn and takes years!
        Ok sign me up for the course!

in all seriousness any tips would be appreciated like am I better with faster or slower speeds on a rotary tool or perhaps I should be scribing with a sharp edge?
        Last edited by Kick-hat-snare; 09-25-2020, 04:04 PM.

Comment

I've done some rotary engraving (dremel)... Not a fan as you have to remember that the tool will pull to the right due to its rotation. I guess if you practice enough you can get decent with it. My offerings were pretty bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Kick-hat-snare View Post

Ok sign me up for the course!

in all seriousness any tips would be appreciated like am I better with faster or slower speeds on a rotary tool or perhaps I should be scribing with a sharp edge?
            I've never used a rotary tool for engraving. Trying to explain the way I engrave on a forum is impossible. Just search youtube for things like wriggle engraving, trombone engraving, saxophone engraving and you'll see some examples of how it's done. Years of practice...

Comment

Additionally, engraving on magnesium is going to be tough I'm guessing. Check out this video:

Comment

Thanks Eric... this shell has been waiting a decade to get built so if I start practicing now I guess it will be ready for the next GN rebirth in 2030-ish. 🤣

Comment

I've never used a rotary tool for engraving. Trying to explain the way I engrave on a forum is impossible. Just search youtube for things like wriggle engraving, trombone engraving, saxophone engraving and you'll see some examples of how it's done. Years of practice...
                  Are those Dremel extensions used for sanding only?

Comment

Originally posted by dale w miller View Post

Are those Dremel extensions used for sanding only?
                    I'm not sure what you mean??? There are sanding bits but there are also pointy type metal (carbide I think) bits that one could use I suppose.

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean??? There are sanding bits but there are also pointy type metal (carbide I think) bits that one could use I suppose.
                      So you’re saying there are bits for engraving, you just suggest not using them from your experience.

Comment

Originally posted by dale w miller View Post

So you’re saying there are bits for engraving, you just suggest not using them from your experience.
                        I think there are bits that could be used for some type of engraving, but I can't really say what kind of result you'll get. The wriggle type of engraving is a totally different beast.

Comment

Some things you just got to pay someone else to do .

Comment

Originally posted by Houndog View Post
                            Some things you just got to pay someone else to do .
                            Just roll over and die shall I?

we shall see.

Comment

Sand blast!! Get a die cut wrap of a design and sand blast it. I would not suggest attempting hand engraving on that shell. If you catch a spark it will explode. Keep that in mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X