I finally realized why Fuggaduggas suck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally realized why Fuggaduggas suck

My new studio space is unfortunately in a rehearsal building. I can hear everyone else. Yesterday, some guy down the hall was practicing his Fuggaduggas. He was pretty good at it. He could get real fast and stay clean. He even had a few real fast single stroke rolls on snare and toms that were clean. But that thing, where you bash 1/4 notes real loud on a thick cymbal and crush the backbeat on the snare is lame and I can't believe it took me decades to realize why. There's no down/up in this groove. I actually has LESS power. The bashed cymbal sounds naked. There's nothing supporting the downbeat because every 16th or 16th triplet or 32nd is EXACTLY THE SAME. It's not much different from not playing the kick at all. This was not the case with Cobham, Moon, or Narada.

Was it Carter Beauford, by chance?

Don't get me wrong, the dude has skillz... but that damn lick he feels the need to do every other song is highly annoying. It lost it's oomph several albums ago.
    <insert_something_clever_here>

Comment

It was some dude down the hall. I have no idea what Carter Beauford has done since the 90's and even back then, I wasn't paying attention. But that was only partly due to the uptight grooves and oblique harmonies, and mostly due to the guy who sounds like someone strangling a turkey.

Comment

Pa dugga dum dum dugga dum dum

Comment

It might not be everyone's cup of tea (cliche alert), but how these "busy" drummers can solo over the bar lines while getting all the hits that the band is doing is quite something. I just can't understand. Like this solo from Dennis Chambers. What the heck is going on? I know it's a vamp, but I can't make heads nor tails out of it.

Comment

I think it's tough to decipher because there's not enough context in this edit. There seems to be some kind of odd time shit going on. If the edit started earlier, it might be easier to follow. Once it's it's carved out for the vamp stabs, they just sound random without context. Whatever is going on with that vamp, he's hitting all of it. If I had the time and the desire, I could transcribe it, but I've got other things to do...

Comment

Originally posted by poopypants View Post
              I think it's tough to decipher because there's not enough context in this edit. There seems to be some kind of odd time shit going on. If the edit started earlier, it might be easier to follow. Once it's it's carved out for the vamp stabs, they just sound random without context. Whatever is going on with that vamp, he's hitting all of it. If I had the time and the desire, I could transcribe it, but I've got other things to do...
              Dang, to transcribe that thing would be nutty. To me it just sounds like he is just playing without a time frame, but that is obviously not the case. He sticks the landing at the end. This mostly proves that I, in fact, suck and will never understand such complexity.

Comment

I'm not saying I know where the downbeats are, but it's obvious that he's hitting every stab with the band. There's a defined written part that he's playing to.

Comment

If you accent, there better be some balls behind it. On that note, kooz posted an amazing solo by Joe Morello the other day. You all should watch it.

Comment

Everything is just flat. It’s like pushing every nob up on the EQ. It may as well just be in the middle.
                    I’m Luke... a GN equal opportunity offender.

Comment

Here's the Morello Solo. No fuggaduggas, and no suckishness. JOE MORELLO: The Great Drum Solo - YouTube

Comment

Joe was cooler than cool - hipper than hip.

I’m Luke... a GN equal opportunity offender.

Comment

Working...
                        X