Thread: Finally got my first snare built - 14x5 Pecan wood stave

Solid Contributor
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Finally got my first snare built - 14x5 Pecan wood stave

So here it is:

14x5, straight walled, 3/8" thick Pecan wood stave shell from Daville Drumworks wrapped in white and black oyster Delmar wrap. Single point, GN style, solid brass lugs with stainless steel fasteners. 2.3mm, 2 flange, stick chopper hoops with heavy duty claws. Multi-timbre strainer with 3 sets of wires (steel snappy, wound wire, and simulated gut). Edges are an offset double 45 with narrow, flat, "vintage style" snare beds. The interior and edges are oiled and sealed, then waxed and buffed.

So far, it tunes up really easily. I'm still working on the strainer system to get it to operate properly. Unfortunately, it did not come with any instructions and the system is oddly complex.

This one took some work to get built. First issue was my ruining the outside of the drum by trying to do a ceruced finish. That ended up not working, so I sanded it back and decided to wrap it. Then came the next problem...

Unequal wood shrinkage (ha ha, very funny, Dr Jones). One of the staves ended up cracking a bit after the wrap went on due to my basement being too cold and dry this January. Fortunately, Terry helped me out with ideas on how to fix it. I got the shell back up to regular temperatures and gave it some humidity to get the wood to expand a bit. Then clamped the shell to open the crack, glued it, clamped it and waited. Gluing went well and the shell was sound again. Then came the next problem...

The shell was 1/8" undersized from the get go (I knew this from the beginning), but I was hoping the wrap and perhaps a thin gasket under the lugs would do the trick to fix the lug splay. Well, no, it didn't. So I asked Terry to send me some bass drum gaskets to push those lugs out further. That did the trick. Then came the next problem...

The mounting holes for the lugs were drilled at 5/16" diameter. The bass drum gaskets push the lugs out past the mounting boss (nipple) so now the lug is floating on the outside of the shell with nothing but a 4mm screw in a 5/16" hole to keep it from sliding around under tension. I found a solution at my local hardware store to use a 5/16" aluminum spacer that would thread on to the screws and fill the gap. Well, they only came in 10-32 thread pitch, so after much debating I looked online and found a place that sells aluminum spacers in varying O.D, I.D, and length. I picked up some 5/16" O.D. x .141 I.D. x .300 length. I tapped those for 4mm thread pitch and I was off to the races. Lugs are perfectly centered and hold tightly in place with no fear of them sliding around due to head tension. Then came the next problem...

This strainer... how the hell does this thing work? How do you set it up? Please see this thread and help me out:

http://www.ghostnote.net/vbforum/sho...tem-adjustment
    Last edited by Tommy_D; 01-23-2018 at 02:26 PM.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Tommy_D For This Useful Post:

Loves Posting daVilleDrumworks.com's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 558 Posts
    Groans
    I applaud your perseverance Tommy. Good looking drum.
    Build it and they will drum!
    www.facebook.com/DaVilleDrumworks

Solid Contributor
    Thanks
    Groans
    Quote Originally Posted by daVilleDrumworks.com View Post
    I applaud your perseverance Tommy. Good looking drum.
    Thanks, Terry. I'm making out the problems to be greater than they really were, but it just shows that building drums is not like building a Lego set. On some other forums I visit there are people who believe I'm just an "assembler" of drums. The above mentioned issues were expressed to show that there is far more work involved than just "assembling" a kit of parts. I know you guys all know this, but some new people who may come on to this forum may want to know some of the hurdles they could encounter when building their own drum.

One thing that wasn't highlighted enough in the above photos was the Pecan wood shell. Here is a shot of the interior of the shell showing off the figuring of the wood. It looks much prettier than I had expected it to look when I was working with the raw shell. I'm still very happy with the wrap I chose on the outside, but having the inside look like this is like having a finely made suit with a really cool lining on the inside of the jacket.

Last edited by Tommy_D; 01-24-2018 at 05:03 PM.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tommy_D For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 492 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post
    But how does she sound?
    Insert clever remarks here:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,145 Times in 2,326 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I love the wrap! I'm not a fan of the look of stave drums.
    http://theseldonplan.bandcamp.com

"If you can't make it good; make it big. If you can't make it big; make it red." - Gary Wertheimer, Professor of Art

"If anything, the mistake is in nature. Gravity is the mistake." - Dr. Nick Laslowicz, ICR

Frank Corl | Create Your Badge
    https://badge.facebook.com/badge/100....877367697.png

Solid Contributor
    Thanks
    Groans
    Quote Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
    But how does she sound?
    I don't quite know yet. I haven't given the drum a proper thrashing. I have been working on the strainer and getting that operating properly. Once that thing starts working correctly I'll be able to give it a proper assessment.

Solid Contributor
    Thanks
    Groans
    Well, I got to play the drum last night and it's interesting with the different snare options. I'm so used to "snappy" style wires that playing the wound wire and the simulated gut really changed the body and tone the drum has. The snappy makes the drum nice and bright and well... snappy. The wound wire drys the drum's tone out quite a lot, and emphasizes the mid-tones much more. The simulated gut turns the drum in to a field drum. Its strange. Its like it morphs in to a 15x12 and I'm calling out commands to regiments out on the battle field. Very strange.

Overall I'm happy with what the drum can do, but I am not happy with the strainer. It gets hung up on itself a lot. The amount of tension adjustment you have is very small, and setting it up is not very intuitive. Given that Pearl offers no setup instructions or notes on how the strainer operates, you are left on your own to figure it out, which is taking me some time. I'm sure there is something I need to adjust, but it will require taking the strainer off again and dinking around with it.

Thanks
    Groans
    Gorgeous snare, Tommy. I contemplated getting a snare drum with multi-strainer in the past...but I already have too many snare drums.
    ".... it's not something any sane GN member would ever have to worry about, since we're all at least 10% smarter than the equipment we use."