PDA

View Full Version : Cast Acrylic Shells Now Available!!!

JMSmithCustom
08-27-2009, 04:59 AM
Black Talon Seamless Cast Acrylic Drum Shells are now available from JM Smith Custom DrumWorks!

Black Talon Seamless Cast Acrylic 6 Piece Shell Pack Discount Kickoff Sale

.25" wall thickness
Seamless MILSPEC SVG Construction
True Coke Bottle Green
Factory Direct Prices

Shell Pack #1 -- $499 USD

8x10
9x12
12x14
14x16
6x14 Snare
18x20 Bass
(SP-1 does not include buff and polish, edges, beds, or freight)

Shell Pack #2 -- $699 USD *** Includes edges and beds

8x10
9x12
12x14
14x16
6x14 Snare
18x20 Bass
(SP-2 does not include buff and polish or freight)

Shell Pack #3 -- $799 USD *** Includes edges, beds, buff and Polish

8x10
9x12
12x14
14x16
6x14 Snare
18x20 Bass
(SP-3 does not include freight)

Shell Pack #4 -- $499 USD

8x10
9x12
14x14
16x16
6x14 Snare
18x20 Bass
(SP-4 does not include buff and polish, edges, beds, or freight)

Shell Pack #5 -- $699 USD *** Includes edges and beds

8x10
9x12
14x14
16x16
6x14 Snare
18x20 Bass
(SP-5 does not include buff and polish or freight)

Shell Pack #6 -- $799 USD *** Includes edges, beds, buff and Polish

8x10
9x12
14x14
16x16
6x14 Snare
18x20 Bass
(SP-6 does not include freight)

Call today for limited time dealer discounts on all shell packs

509.845.2076 or email at jmsmith@jmsmithcustom.com (jmsmith@jmsmithcustom.com)

Cjbrown
08-27-2009, 05:02 AM
where's the 26, 15, 18, 20 shellpack?!

JMSmithCustom
08-27-2009, 05:10 AM
where's the 26, 15, 18, 20 shellpack?!

It's still on the truck....No one could lift it down.

McKenzieDrums
08-27-2009, 05:23 AM
Darn good prices on cast acrylic... Seamless acrylic ain't cheap.

mojo drum
08-27-2009, 06:15 AM
Good deals, but 20" bass.....yuck!

McKenzieDrums
08-27-2009, 06:22 AM
20" bass = perfect. Only guys with small weiners need bigger ;)

drumfoundry.com
08-27-2009, 06:24 AM
Very cool! Way to innovate and bring something unique to the table. You think they sound different than your RCI or Gold-uhn-times?

JMSmithCustom
08-27-2009, 07:20 AM
Very cool! Way to innovate and bring something unique to the table. You think they sound different than your RCI or Gold-uhn-times?

Absolutely...There is a difinitive difference concernng inherant resonant frequencies and overall body of the note. The pitch tends to be bit higher, richer, cleaner, more focused yet warmer and rounder than RCI or Golden Times. No, I am not just thrown' out drum terms to impress anyone but if you haven't heard Cast Acrylic drums (which I am sure you have) this would certainly be the time to dabble. Though, I must say -- I do swear on WF Ludwig's soul that a Cast Acrylic 7x12 snare drum is the best damned sounding drum I have ever heard.......EV-AH. Shoot me a PM if you would like a sample. Cheers and many thanks again for the interest....We gotta talk about the DF badge anyways.

Warmest Regards,

Joshua M. Smith
509-845-2076 (Pacific)

HM Drums
08-27-2009, 07:47 AM
Only in Coke bottle green? I have a love for orange..

Great friggin' prices BTW!!!

drumfoundry.com
08-27-2009, 09:06 AM
Absolutely...There is a difinitive difference concernng inherant resonant frequencies and overall body of the note. The pitch tends to be bit higher, richer, cleaner, more focused yet warmer and rounder than RCI or Golden Times. No, I am not just thrown' out drum terms to impress anyone but if you haven't heard Cast Acrylic drums (which I am sure you have) this would certainly be the time to dabble. Though, I must say -- I do swear on WF Ludwig's soul that a Cast Acrylic 7x12 snare drum is the best damned sounding drum I have ever heard.......EV-AH. Shoot me a PM if you would like a sample. Cheers and many thanks again for the interest....We gotta talk about the DF badge anyways.

Warmest Regards,

Joshua M. Smith
509-845-2076 (Pacific)

You mean it tastes great but is also less filling? :D

How bout you email me about badge stuff. I hate the phone.

johnisonfire
08-27-2009, 09:23 AM
my goodness what a great deal. and coke green is my favorite color. I'm so tempted right now.

McKenzieDrums
08-29-2009, 03:49 PM
Just an idea.. but how about some more photos. Like buffed versus nonbuffed, etc. Less of a marketing shot and more for informational purposes.

JMSmithCustom
08-31-2009, 12:03 AM
Just an idea.. but how about some more photos. Like buffed versus nonbuffed, etc. Less of a marketing shot and more for informational purposes.

Hmmnnn.....Just think the way lacquer looks off the gun before buff and polish. Optically transparent but refinement needed for a PRO finish. I'll see what I can relate in the photos. If I can accurately depict the difference between minimal gloss differences I'll get some before and after shots up on the board. No guarantees on results but in my opinion it may wind up trying to photographically depict the differences between Fruit-of-the-Loom whitey tighty's to Hanes....The only difference is usually the tag. I'll try and see what we can come up with.....Cheers mate and many thanks for the concept.

Warmest Regards,

-JM

goiter
08-31-2009, 05:04 AM
Hey, great prices for them shell packs.

Anatomic
11-19-2009, 01:02 PM
Pics of any WIP or kits of this stuff?

runner_422
11-19-2009, 02:23 PM
do they come in any other colors?

And i need some help with badges too please

JMSmithCustom
11-28-2009, 10:31 AM
do they come in any other colors?

And i need some help with badges too please

Yep...Pretty much any color imaginable but all we had in stock for the trial was Coke bottle green (only one 6-piece shell pack left; I was gunna save it for the company (to build as backline rental) but if you need it we can deal. Right now we are dealing with large orders so if you want to aquire enough material for 6-7 shell packs then the price would be EXTREMELY competitive (being cast acrylic is hard to come by in these quantities for under 3K) We still have some snare shells left too if interested.

Badges? No worries...Shoot us a PM and we'll get some info from ya'..Cheers and many thanks again for the interest!

-JM

tubelugs
11-28-2009, 07:36 PM
Seamless MILSPEC SVG Construction

There's a military specification for acrylic drum shells?

funk_drum
11-28-2009, 09:17 PM
20" bass = perfect. Only guys with small weiners need bigger ;)

Which is why I want a 32"

funk_drum
11-28-2009, 09:18 PM
Will these sound like all other acrlyic? I haven't heard one yet I like, however I'm dying to have a yellow one.

Robocougar
12-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Would you be able to mix colors? I am looking to do a blue BD, Yellow FT, Orange MT and a light blue SD.

RichardJ
01-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Spam Bump

Moonstone
05-02-2012, 10:26 AM
I feel it is only fair to let people know that these are not exact sizes. I bought one of these shell pack packages from jmsmith after viewing this ad, and each shell OD is smaller than described by about 1/4 inch, which makes rims and heads tricky to fit without spacers on the lugs, etc, and some retrofitting to center them up. I was not able to do this work by myself. I phoned and asked about it, and was told they are metric sized acrylic tubes made in China that have been 're-purposed' for drum applications. I was not able to get my money back, which is not mentioned on this post either. jmsmith did offer to make the drums for me, and pay for labor on their dime, if i shipped the shells back, which was decent, but hardware costs alone would have added an extra 1000 dollars. i just do not feel these shells are as described (as they are smaller than listed, and not exact inch sizes), and should have been able to get my money back. caveat emptor.

Moonstone
05-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Darn good prices on cast acrylic... Seamless acrylic ain't cheap.

I feel it is only fair to let people know that these are not exact sizes. I bought one of these shell pack packages (http://www.expedia.com/pubspec/scripts/eap.asp?GOTO=PKGLAUNCH) from jmsmith after viewing this ad, and each shell OD is smaller than described by about 1/4 inch, which makes rims and heads tricky to fit without spacers on the lugs, etc, and some retrofitting to center them up. I was not able to do this work by myself. I phoned and asked about it, and was told they are metric (http://www.amazon.com/Metric/e/B00197GMXC) sized acrylic tubes made in China that have been 're-purposed' for drum applications. I was not able to get my money back, which is not mentioned on this post either. jmsmith did offer to make the drums for me, and pay for labor on their dime, if i shipped the shells back, which was decent, but hardware costs alone would have added an extra 1000 dollars. i just do not feel these shells are as described (as they are smaller than listed, and not exact inch sizes), and should have been able to get my money back. caveat emptor.

tubelugs
05-02-2012, 01:06 PM
What about using taller bass drum lugs?

JMSmithCustom
05-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Hmmn….. Never been one to open drama on anyone (Just ain’t my thing) but this little post stirs up some thoughts on the subject….

First and foremost, these shells were manufactured for JMSCD (Overseas supplier) to be used as drum shells. Seamless cast acrylic is NOT intended for use as a drum shell; however, being the helluva guy I am (insert off-colored comments here) I wanted to play with the stuff. Granted, as with any cylindrical object, we repurposed the acrylic for use as drum shells… Something that seemingly at the time was not being done anywhere, so we went to town and launched the Black Talon series. Cast Acrylic is NOT cheap by any means so after I had my fun, made several kits, snare drums, and one VERY cool aquarium, I had three shell packs left – I had to liquidate the old to make room for the new and recoup some overhead, right? ANYhoo, The drum kits and snare drums went off like a bomb and NO client has been disappointed with the finished product… I guess I’m just that bad ass, eh? No, not at all. The finished product was exactly as intended and performed just as intended. Crafted by knowledgeable, attentive craftsmen the Black Talon series of seamless cast acrylic drums were a success.

Now, of course some may not be as familiar with the materials we use as builders and some get in over their head early on in the building process… Hell, I know I did! That is why when the client called back and requested a refund I simply explained that we are liquidating the shell packs AS IS and the invoice clearly stated “all sales are final.” I’m not sheisty nor are our business practices unethical, immoral, or less than honest. JM Smith Custom DrumWorks and all associated subsidiaries (KMA Productions and JMSCD Product ID Solutions) strive for integrity and honesty in all we do. I explained to the client the shell pack was as is and refunds were not available due the discontinuation of the product line.

However, because I know what it is like to be less than satisfied with a purchase I offered to build the 6 piece frosted kit out to spec at NO COST and provide all needed parts and accessories at MY wholesale cost. You can’t beat that with a stick, or hammer…Or a mallet. Yes, the client would have to pay an additional 1K for parts, heads, etc. but what is not mentioned is if he decided to do the work himself he would be spending well over $1500 for the needed parts even at “online wholesale” prices. I just don’t get the reasoning for the above comment regarding additional $$$ If the client already knew if he built the kit on his own he would still be paying for parts, heads, etc. but at retail prices…. Baffled.

Regarding size, as It DOES matter…. The shells are an eighth inch (on either side) undersized (9 and for a 10” tom) which is standard for ANY seamless cast acrylic being the tubes are not intended for drums. To my knowledge, cast acrylic tubes are primarily used as pressurized transport lines and are undersized [MILSPEC] to fit the collar sleeves (Couplers). TRUSPEC cast acrylic however is thusly that, true to its OD... i.e. a 12” tube is an exact 12” OD – Certainly not suited for drum work. The closest OD is slightly undersized to fit the couplers but CAN be repurposed for drum shells if the shortcoming is compensated… Hence, bass drum lugs or ABS spacers. The shortcoming is easily compensated with the use of bass drum lugs and/or spacers. That is exactly what WE used and were quite successful in application. That’s a pretty fair trade for the use of seamless cast acrylic at $499.00 per 6 piece shell pack. AND, a pretty easy fix for any builder. I really do think the issue was simply not delivering what the client EXPECTED (Read: “assumed what he was getting into”) and for that I feel absolutely terrible; as a business owner AND as a person. However, I cannot take complete responsibility for the lack of knowledge present at time of purchase. Yes, I realize part of our job is to guide the client in their decision and deliver what is promised. If the purchase was made without all the facts then yes, I am at fault for assuming the client was aware of what he/she was purchasing but where do we draw the line? At what point should the client know (if questions are not asked) exactly what they are ordering? I have run into this problem with the badge game as well. But just as now as then I made good on the one promise we stand by… We WILL make it right. Ask any client of ours (Past or present) and they will tell you if mistakes were made or defects were not caught prior to shipment we HAVE made it right… By the client and by our good name.

As a record of public apology I do sincerely apologize to the community as a whole and especially to this particular valued client who was not happy with their decision and less than satisfied with the product. We have offered an unbeatable solution and are more than willing to make it right. We firmly stand on our promise to make it right. I cannot promise that issues like this will never arise again but I can guarantee a solution that makes all involved parties happy.

JMSCD is NOT too big to fail; we know we have to beat the competition at the client relations level. Our bread and butter is not metal and wood but the people who spend their hard earned money on our name. Trust is something we cannot afford to value lightly. Cheers and many thanks again to all for your continued support!

Respectfully,

Joshua M. Smith
Owner, JMSCD
West Richland, WA – USA
509.845.2076 (PST)

daVilleDrumworks.com
05-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Josh, I'm not happy with my badges. Will you build me a kit for free?