PDA

View Full Version : WIP Comments: Steamhead

instumentalist
08-04-2007, 11:22 PM
Those are nice looking lugs. I like the jig you've made to hold your drum. It looks nice and simple, but like it would work well. I want to make something like that. I'm trying to tap lugs. It's the first time I've done something like that, and I see that it is tricky to make them right.

steamhead
08-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks, most folks like them but some do not. this is whay there is McDonalds and Burgerking. The holding jig works out good. It still takes some effort in holding down the shell with your weak hand while sanding or buffing. When drilling holes for lugs it is crucial to get the holes straight or you wont be able to tap correctly.

Boss_Bones
08-06-2007, 12:30 AM
That drum is looking really classy. Those lugs are pretty slick - you should try getting some really long pieces of hex stock and doing full-length tom and bass lugs for a whole kit like that. It would weigh a ton, but sure would look cool.

Boss_Bones
08-09-2007, 01:24 AM
I like the fit and finish. Would've liked to see a different strainer on it, but oh well...

One question - why not go for brass-plated hoops/strainer to match the lugs? The chrome hoops look a bit odd against the brass lugs.

vaughn
08-09-2007, 01:26 AM
all I can say about your build is dang...and maybe, wow! and also holy crap that's sweet.

steamhead
08-09-2007, 01:46 AM
Thanks guys, your comments are greatly appreciated and it sure makes the build worth the efforts. Love ya... build on...

munich
08-09-2007, 07:26 AM
That came out beautiful, steamhead!

instumentalist
08-09-2007, 09:10 AM
The drum came out really well. It's a very tasteful drum. It says quality.

steamhead
08-09-2007, 05:59 PM
Thanks, I played the drum today and the tuning just falls right in /real easy to tune and sounds super- low and high./ It is crisp punchy warm very focused and a killer rim shot! No over tones , no excessive ring, plenty of resonance. to me it is my dream 13. I left the evans heads on there.

hauk
08-09-2007, 10:24 PM
Great lugs. I bet when you get the aluminum lugs figured out they'll be even better. Good luck with the contest.