PDA

View Full Version : WIP: bigtaco comments

bigtaco
07-22-2007, 02:14 PM
members sound off.

let's hear it!!!!!

Boss_Bones
07-22-2007, 03:08 PM
Interesting design. I like the concept. I am very interested to see how you are going to pull the cutting off.

stellardrum
07-22-2007, 03:26 PM
I like where you are going...a similar direction as I...but not identical.

gach
07-22-2007, 06:31 PM
how are you going to cut the edges?

Hazer
07-22-2007, 09:05 PM
how are you going to cut the edges?

My guess is that he'll do it with a chisel on the lathe.

bigtaco
07-23-2007, 12:35 AM
the shell will never see a lathe, chisel, gouge or skew.

the concept was the easy part, figuring out how to pull it off was the toughy.

it took me quite some time, especially how to cut the inside of the shell.

as we go, and if members suggest it could tip the scales in the voting, i may include some pictures of the machining. there's really no magic to it once you see how it's done.

those that may have allready figured it out will also figure out that cutting a shell in this manner is a labor intensive pursuit of passion.

i just hope the result sounds and looks as good as i suspect it will.

letusprey
07-29-2007, 03:13 PM
A Kurt vise . . . I have a patent on my name, they can't use it. ;)

What is a Kurt vise anyway? I pinch shells between my legs when I buff them, does that count? :confused:

Boss_Bones
07-29-2007, 03:38 PM
As someone who has done a moderate amount of machining for a research lab, let me voice my opinion that milling machine + rotary table = machining heaven. You really can do some amazing stuff with that sort of a setup.

I have my suspicions as to how you are planning to do it, but I still wouldn't mind hearing your exact method.

bigtaco
07-29-2007, 10:57 PM
sorry kurt, but KURT will always be a vise to me. and a darn nice one.

they were the first to make an anglock vise. as you tighten the jaws, down ward force is exerted which keep your work from springing upward. they lock up like a rock. especially helpful if you want to run a flaky set-up like standing a rotary table up and use two bar clamps on a MDF tombstone.

i'd have to say that you are in fact also a kurt vise when you buff your shells. tough to dispute atleast.

rotary tables rock. thank god i paid attention in geometry. if rotary tables ran on algebra, i'd be sunk.

i'll post some pictures of the process.

instumentalist
08-04-2007, 11:33 PM
Looks like you've taken on a lot! I like the integrated lug concept. It's unusual, and it might do something really interesting with the sound from the standpoint of how they distribute the stess.

bigtaco
08-05-2007, 05:16 AM
thanks instrumentalist. i'm hoping it turns out. i'm as curious to hear what it does to the sound as everyone else.

i knew the shell would be difficult but i didn't anticipate it being so time consuming.

i'm thinking the wood hoops might get nixed. i'm off my pace.

blsandell
08-05-2007, 09:29 AM
Keep your head up, these custom drums with our unique and radical shell-lug designs always take longer than we think. I'm trying a new finish and it's kicking my ass. So keep up the good work I cant wait to see er finished.

hauk
08-09-2007, 08:21 PM
I gotta say, I'm pulling for you to win this. Great original idea, good execution so far, and you're making practically everything on the drum (even if the wood hoops don't happen). Good luck man.

bigtaco
08-10-2007, 02:37 AM
hey! thanks man!!!

good to know someone out there is pulling for me!!!

i won't let you down.

hauk
08-10-2007, 11:15 PM
No problem, bigtaco. Something just grabs me about your drum and I'm looking forward to the next update.

instumentalist
08-12-2007, 11:42 PM
Look forward to seeing the shell. Good luck.

latzanimal
08-15-2007, 04:44 AM
Keep pushin', BT, keep pushin'...

Very cool concept BTW

drummerboy93
08-15-2007, 07:22 AM
Ok now i got to ask how did you machine that drum.

bigtaco
08-15-2007, 08:58 AM
very carefully ;)

with a computer that does geometry and trig better than i telling me what to do.

seriously... NO CNC!!!! ALL HAND WHEELS!!!!

add LOTS of smoke, a few mirrors, one on-going sleep deprivation study, and throw in an un-quenchable desire to attain ultimate internet geek status.

and as of this post, you haven't even seen the machined logo. wait til you get a gander at that. it's no bubble letter cutter path. i'm making one more pass then sanding a little before i post a pic. hint... 3D high relief AND radiused with the shell, and using multiple cutters... no cnc required.

in all seriousness, i've got HUNDREDS of hours wrapped up in this shell.

from concieving the idea (my first thought of it was upon seeing the drumarama build-off around the first of july) to developing the cutting techniques to actually cutting what you've seen so far has been one of the most rewarding nightmares in my personal history.

the shell is not without fault, but every mistake i make is one more note in my "what not to do next time" journal as well as another challenge to over-come as i have to figure out how to hide the mistake and get a drum out of this slab of maple and glue.

things like: touching a cutter off of the shell to find zero will push it out of round. if everything isn't indicated in and trammed up perfectly, you're not making anything round. but you'll cut great ovals on your tapered shell with nice ladderesque tooling marks. NO cutting final dimensions until all of the hogging has been done and the stress in the wood has been relieved. don't hold the glue-up pieces to .001" tolerances. give yourself a good 16th all the way around. when you crash, you'll crash bad. (pics coming) with backlash potentially coming at you from three axii (the cutter is planted thank god), you've got to have everything you can locked down before cutting anything.

see... i'm starting to get the hang of it.

i wanted to bow out of the contest half-way through when i knew that this drum would not get completed in the appropriately excellent manner in which i see fit.

but that's not how i roll. i said i'd do it, and i'm going to do it. i'm going to work all day on it until about 11pm. thanks to my students!!!! at 11 i'll post where i am. might be a drum, might be a collection of almost excellently finished drum parts. i still haven't cut the t-rods' square heads or polished them up.

i'm not willing to skimp on the copious sanding required to really get a stunning final product. have ya'll seen the other contestants finishes? tough competition!!! i think i have somewhat of a powered shortcut. it remains un-proven as of yet. if i'm still just sanding the shell at 11, i'll be fine with that. to tell you the truth, my main goal is that the shell comes off the faceplate in one piece. it's only 1/4" thick, and if i get some chattering going on at this point, it'll likely just shake the shell to pieces.

drummerboy93
08-15-2007, 09:10 AM
Wait so you used a non-cnc milling machine. Not a lathe? correct.

bigtaco
08-15-2007, 10:23 AM
correct. no lathe. none. whole thing machined in a mill in one set-up.

by "setup", i mean never removed from the rotary table, thus keeping concentricity. the shell has been flat, stood up and will be flat again.

as long as the center of the rotary table is indicated, concentricity is maintained... until the wood relieves itself and/or you push a cutter against the shell.

a very long list of x offsets as well as angular orientations.

hauk
08-15-2007, 03:04 PM
Good work on the shell, it looks great so far. I can't wait to see the end result, I've got faith that it will turn out awesome.

E-Dog
08-15-2007, 10:12 PM
No dude you have until Friday afternoon..Anyways you procrastinator..

bigtaco
08-15-2007, 11:00 PM
i know... i know...

but i like playing by the rules as much as i can.

besides, sleep deprivation causes brain damage at 96 hours...

AND IT'S FREE BRAIN DAMAGE!!!

why anyone would part with hard earned money to alter their state of mind when not sleeping is free is beyond me.

stellardrum
08-17-2007, 09:09 AM
Oh man, I am bummed out for you. This was on it's way to one eligant drum, the logo carved into the shell was one of the classiest things I have ever seen. You have to finish this drum/concept no matter what...I just have to see it complete! You are a great addition to the G-note club.

instumentalist
08-17-2007, 09:19 AM
I am heartbroken to see that shell. I was so looking foward to seeing it come out. Those integrated wood lugs look great. Im certain if it had come together that it would have been a real show stopper. We have all had rotten things happen under the gun and next time it probabably wont be you that it happens to.So keep the nose to the grind stone and make us sweat in the next competition.Are you sure you cant fix it?

marcato
08-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Dude, re-glue and press on! Nothing deceitful about that! How about a set of re-rings?

Fezzasus
08-17-2007, 10:03 AM
I know you don't have time to do this, but putting reinforcement rings in should fix up the shell enough to make it usable.

jgkooser
08-17-2007, 10:12 AM
Damn, sure was looking impressive up to the collapse. As others have said, the integrated lugs and carved logo were just damned cool! I really look forward to seeing this idea finished some day.

Rico
08-17-2007, 01:14 PM
I had you in the top 3 bigtaco (dammit) that sucks

lexlord
08-17-2007, 03:13 PM
Dude my heart absolutely goes out to you, I know how you feel, but the bright side is much was learned for both of us, Your concept is worth exploring further, my double shell/chamber idea has legs... so f**k the buildoff, let's both do it again for the showcase and to demonstrate the possibilities.. I really think all who attempted are winners, each and every one put it on the line and tried something out of the box, and there really were no failures, given the time to pursue each idea they would all work!! I really am impressed with the work you did, I have thought of something similar, not with the built in lugs, I have a killer mill available, but the task looked monumental... but you did it!! It was a shell/drum and should you try again it will be a shell/drum.

E-Dog
08-17-2007, 03:20 PM
YEA!!!!!!!!! FUCK THIS BUILD OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHHAHAAhahahaaha

DO IT !!

hauk
08-18-2007, 05:29 PM
Man, that sucks.... I look forward to seeing one in the future though, I think you can do great things with this idea!

bigtaco
08-19-2007, 12:38 AM
i was all set to glue in re-rings.

now i'm thinking that after i glue in the re-rings, i'll glue a shell to the re-rings. i can put a backer block where the strainer and butt plate go. i'll stick the vent behind the butt plate.

since it's an integral lug stave... it'll be a true chamber drum with no hardware pulling the two shells together.

assuming it'll also get wood hoops and a dual strainer, it will then have everything but the kitchen sink.

i'll post it up when it's done. the other joints are rock solid, completely absorbing all the stress of the failed joint.

i believe i'll nail it in a third unhurried attempt. and the grain in the cherry was incredibly attractive.

me and you lexlord!!! crazy builds to the end!!! speaking of crazy builds, i can't believe stellar pulled it out. down a toolrest no less!!!

thanks for all the love yall. i hope to be a good netizen around here.

lexlord
08-19-2007, 09:40 AM
i was all set to glue in re-rings.

now i'm thinking that after i glue in the re-rings, i'll glue a shell to the re-rings. i can put a backer block where the strainer and butt plate go. i'll stick the vent behind the butt plate.

since it's an integral lug stave... it'll be a true chamber drum with no hardware pulling the two shells together.

assuming it'll also get wood hoops and a dual strainer, it will then have everything but the kitchen sink.

i'll post it up when it's done. the other joints are rock solid, completely absorbing all the stress of the failed joint.

i believe i'll nail it in a third unhurried attempt. and the grain in the cherry was incredibly attractive.

me and you lexlord!!! crazy builds to the end!!! speaking of crazy builds, i can't believe stellar pulled it out. down a toolrest no less!!!

thanks for all the love yall. i hope to be a good netizen around here.

See, now that's what I am talkin' about, Evolution, expansion of ideas... do it and let us know how it turns out!!

hauk
08-19-2007, 10:04 PM
Excellent plan. That sounds like it's gonna be a killer snare. I can't wait for the finished product (not to rush you or anything ;))