PDA

View Full Version : WIP Comments: FlyingDrums

FlyingDrums
07-17-2007, 07:25 PM
Alright fellas, let me know what you think!

FlyingDrums
07-18-2007, 08:19 PM
Lot of big time stuff going on it seems...kind of intimidating.

Rat A'tat
07-18-2007, 08:49 PM
Get in there and show'em who pisses standing up!:D

Kaos
07-20-2007, 10:30 PM
I don't think your crazy I think its gonna turn out freakin awsome.

letusprey
07-20-2007, 11:16 PM
You Stoner, WTF are you doing?:p

Kidding, I think that's a cool idea, how many coats of liquid-stone did you spray?

FlyingDrums
07-21-2007, 08:00 AM
Well I would call it "bursts" instead of coats. You have to stand a good distance from your workpiece with the stuff. So everyone's basic 6-8" back with the can is out the window. The can says 12-16 inches but this is muggy Florida so I had to hold it back even more and do short bursts with stuff. If I did a sweeping motion like I was originally, my patio would be covered in the stuff. I did a few more light bursts this morning to cover up some up some spots. This shouldn't take as long to dry.

But thanks for the vote of confidence Kurt! That's a big deal coming from the paint master! :p

Stoovey
07-21-2007, 01:52 PM
I've used that stuff before. I took off the wrap on my first kit, a cheapy Hondo Percussion 5-piece, and sprayed it with this stuff. The green granite finish. Always got lots of positive comments. I can't wait to see how it looks when someone experienced does it!

McKenzieDrums
07-23-2007, 07:21 AM
Looking good dude!

miikka
07-30-2007, 12:42 PM
Looking good! Looking real good!

Man that's a lot of clear...

miikka
07-31-2007, 02:53 PM
That BioFreeze stuff rocks!!! I have used for all kinds of ailments.

bigtaco
08-01-2007, 05:26 AM
i have to admit that the result is striking. i thought you were nuts in the begining. good call with the craft store glitter!!!

i wonder if you could spray a shell with a grey base coat then hose it down with the glitter to the extent that the entire base coat was covered?

i saw a motorcycle where the entire thing was done with prismatique this way.

unbelieveable.

FlyingDrums
08-04-2007, 03:04 PM
thanks for the few comments I had guys. No way my drum could stand up to the others on here...so as I posted in my WIP thread:

Well guys...as much as I hate to do this, I have to bow out of the competition. This upcoming week with my job is going to be hectic. Along with my real job, I have stuff going at church and with my band.

The main reason...I am the victim of "solvent pop". I had this drum looking better than any of my previous builds until that list bit of sanding was finished. I'm not going to have time to sand this thing down and reclear it this week at ALL. I will still finish this drum but probably not in the time frame alotted. Very discouraging. I wish all the rest of the guys left in the competition good luck.

I do have to give some thanks to one person who helped me along the way on this build. Our Mg boy, Tim "crazyhorse" McKenzie. We spent countless hours over IM throwing out ideas on what I could do. He encouraged the Krylon stuff and I was VERY leary of this idea up through halfway in the build. I was getting very excited after sanding the clear...until the "solvent pop" issue. I PMed Kurt, and through his wisdom, I've learned the error I made. Thus...putting me out of this build-off. Maybe next time.

But again, thanks to Tim for getting me this far. It was a very challenging build and as I said before, I'd like to perfect this kind of finish. It has some possibilities. GOOD LUCK GN BROS!

stellardrum
08-04-2007, 04:08 PM
Hopefully you have a change of mind and some extra time shows up for you so you can finish your drum...I am sure you have been working hard to this point and was looking great! I will be looking forward to seeing a completed drum from you come next Wednesday, don't call it quits just yet!

bigtaco
08-05-2007, 05:20 AM
that's what this buildoff is all about. you come up with a crazy idea, roll the dice and go for broke.

my build isn't exactly sailing along right now and if i hit a similar snag, i'm out too.

post up when you get this drum completed.

Xeri
08-05-2007, 08:44 AM
Another victum of solvent pop. It's one of those "I never thought it could happen to me" things that happens.

One thing I have learned in finishing/painting if you gots-ta let things sit and settle. Apparently I need to take my own advice, due to I rushed my own project this time too. Funny thing is I'm the one giving my friends advice on they need to let things settle before moving on ... how's that for irony.

If you have "pin holes" in the clear from the solvent pop, that can be fixed sometimes. Just ask and I'm sure that either myself and others here can help you fix that. But, if you have solvent pop in the paint ... RIP paint .... RIP.

Sucks too ... that is a sweet looking paint/finish job. You need to fix it sometime and show us the finished pictures.

letusprey
08-05-2007, 05:07 PM
I had to go to Solvent Pop rehab. Bummer to hear you're out, keep working it, you've got time.

E-Dog
08-07-2007, 07:14 PM
The show of sweat +10

Xeri
08-08-2007, 12:38 PM
Atta-boy! Gutsy going for the 80 grit, was biting my nails just reading that part. Glad to hear you are back at it and were able to repair/redo the clear coat. Looking forward to seeing the finished drum.

FlyingDrums
08-08-2007, 01:58 PM
I actually tried 120 to start but it wasn't busting anything. This stuff was put on too thick the first go 'round. 80 was the way to go! I cleared it this morning along with another snare I'm building. It went on MUCH smoother this time. Just a tiny bit of orange peel. I think I'll be able to start with 400 or 600 grit this time. I probably won't have to bother with the 320. What do you guys think?

Xeri
08-08-2007, 03:49 PM
Take your time. If you have just a slight orange peel. I'd start with a quickie round of 400 wet. Wipe it down and see where your at. If your almost level (no shiny spots) then start the progression of 600 - 2000 wet. That's the route I'd personally go, but that's just an opinion. Opinions are like butt-holes ... everyones got one.

If you're a bit nervous about sand trough, start with 600 wet and keep wiping it down to see where you are.

lexlord
08-08-2007, 03:50 PM
Glad your back in, I had to re do my clear too, and I dig vneck T's, but I guess I am getting to be an old man:o

jgkooser
08-08-2007, 03:53 PM
Good to see you're back in! You have a cool concept going and I'm looking forward to seeing the drum finished!

McKenzieDrums
08-13-2007, 01:02 PM
That's one awesome looking drum :) Congrats on getting it done!

miikka
08-13-2007, 01:15 PM
Excellent work! I'm glad you got her done.

lexlord
08-13-2007, 02:52 PM
definitely one of my top pics !!! Really nice!!