PDA

View Full Version : WIP Comments: Miikka

miikka
07-17-2007, 03:00 PM
This is where you can post comments regarding my project!

Danalog
07-19-2007, 08:41 AM
It looks amazing, I love that finish!
Check your pm's by the way.

Woody
07-19-2007, 09:54 AM
You wacky Finns and your Metric math stuff.

W.

funk_drum
07-19-2007, 10:07 AM
Wow! Nice finish!

miikka
07-19-2007, 10:25 AM
I'm starting to realize the caliber of the drum builders in this contest and it doesn't look good for yours truly... :mad:

Still... If I want to learn to run fast, I should train with the Kenyans! :D

funk_drum
07-19-2007, 10:50 AM
I'm starting to realize the caliber of the drum builders in this contest and it doesn't look good for yours truly... :mad:

If you get sick of looking at your snare in light of the other builders here, you can send it to me so you don't need to look at it any more.

Stoovey
07-19-2007, 11:45 AM
In light of what everyone else is doing, your snare looks great. Everyone is doing amazing work, whether pro or first-timer. I really like yours, with that 3D like appearance. Cheer up and keep doing great work!

James_Walker
07-19-2007, 12:07 PM
"I used tinted Plaster of Paris as grain filler. This stuff worked great!"

(Note to self...insert this at the very top of the "really cool ideas I want to steal" list...)

The shell looks fabulous, miikka! :)

letusprey
07-19-2007, 12:07 PM
Beautiful color! The figure in that veneer is amazing too.

lexlord
07-19-2007, 12:48 PM
I agree with all comments, I really like the finish, who knows who will win this thing, really who cares, it's the challenge, eh?

miikka
07-19-2007, 01:24 PM
it's the challenge, eh?

It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase!

How true in so many of life's aspects!

ANDY B
07-19-2007, 01:31 PM
The grain on that shell is awesome....

letusprey
07-19-2007, 04:04 PM
It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase!

How true in so many of life's aspects!

Enjoy the journey!

miikka
07-25-2007, 11:22 AM
Alright... I'm not dropping out of the contest, at least not yet. I had a secondary agenda for this contest and because of some financial difficulties it looks like I will not be able to complete either project on time. I gambled with time and money and so far it has backfired.

I listed three of my beloved snares on eBay and as long as I can scrape up enough money to complete both projects, I will deliver my snare. And then some... :eek:

So in other words, my participation is on hold until further notice. :(

Danalog
07-25-2007, 11:28 AM
For the love of GOD someone buy his drums...theyre great i can personally vouche for them I saw them. I'd buy them myself if I already didnt have 17 snares!

latindrum
07-25-2007, 11:34 AM
For the love of GOD someone buy his drums...theyre great i can personally vouche for them I saw them. I'd buy them myself if I already didnt have 17 snares!

Guys, I really was planning on buying one of them but now that I have just sold and purchased a new home, my funds are tied up.

Good luck Mikka and I hope you sell your drums.

miikka
07-25-2007, 11:39 AM
Guys, I really was planning on buying one of them but now that I have just sold and purchased a new home, my funds are tied up.

Good luck Mikka and I hope you sell your drums.

And here's another man of integrity!

Thanks Bob!

Dan, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

instumentalist
07-25-2007, 09:42 PM
I work with plaster all the time. It has some wonderful qualities. I really like the finish. I want to see the drum finished. I hope your drums sell quickly.

miikka
07-29-2007, 10:33 AM
Hello all,

I'm exstatic to announce that I have overcome my financial obstacles in form of one blessed soul who purchased my bubinga veneer w/green heart abalone snare off of eBay. He has now clue what huge favor he just did for me! And this contest, I hope...

I am back in the contest big time. My contest snare has been completed. I'm entering phase II of the 'Phi Drums GR Concept".

Stay tuned!!!

Rat A'tat
07-29-2007, 10:41 AM
Great news! Glad you're back in the running. Bump yerself up on the handicap and take $2.00 outa' petty cash!:D

ANDY B
07-30-2007, 03:16 PM
Glad you're back in the race....That shell looks awesome.....

Houndog
07-30-2007, 03:55 PM
Crapola!! All that damn math confused this dumbass rednekk..
The finish is awesome though...
Houndogs top 5 for sure!!!!

daggerdrums
07-30-2007, 04:16 PM
hey man that looks great, my fav one so far, that figure and color just looks real class man!

Rat A'tat
07-30-2007, 07:10 PM
O.K. I can dig the whole GR thing, but I don't think you have truely explored it. Who says an 8.6..." deep snare won't be "golden"? What if the batter head was tuned 1.618 tighter then the reso head. What if the snare strainer were sized to that ratio. (around 7"w x 11" long I think):eek:
O.k.,o.k. you have to finish the build for the contest, but you should explore this a bit more.

Damn it man, you laugh in the face of conformity. I salute you and I'm here if you need back-up!:D

miikka
07-30-2007, 07:57 PM
O.K. I can dig the whole GR thing, but I don't think you have truely explored it. Who says an 8.6..." deep snare won't be "golden"? What if the batter head was tuned 1.618 tighter then the reso head. What if the snare strainer were sized to that ratio. (around 7"w x 11" long I think):eek:
O.k.,o.k. you have to finish the build for the contest, but you should explore this a bit more.

Damn it man, you laugh in the face of conformity. I salute you and I'm here if you need back-up!:D

I intend to explore this more...

As for the snare, a 8.65" is not really that far fetched. I should probably build one at some point.

Thanks for the back up!

jwsedens
08-01-2007, 09:46 AM
man, that's a lot of math. sounds interesting though. i think it's interesting that when you applied the formula, the depth of the shells came out pretty close to traditional sized toms.

the drum looks great by the way. i love the shallow snare bed. i cut mine similar to that and love it.

stellardrum
08-03-2007, 10:38 PM
That sure is a beauty Miikka...I love it!

I never did thank you for the cymbal either.....so thanks!!

latindrum
08-03-2007, 11:23 PM
Sweet looking drum. I love the color too!

miikka
08-04-2007, 08:07 AM
Thanks, Jody! I'm glad the splash went to someone I know.

Bob, thanks for your comment! That color turned out very nice indeed. Too bad it only works on figured maple... I tried it on a standard Keller shell and it looks like ass. I was going to build the GR kit in same color but that's not going to happen.

EuphonicCustom
08-05-2007, 02:20 PM
Fantastic job!

jgkooser
08-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Miika:

The scientist in me (I'm an ecologist by day) really likes your application of the "golden ratio". I'm very interested in seeing how this comes out. beyond that, I really admire your artistry. I've learned quite a bit from your build, never knew that plaster of paris could serve as a pore filler! It's a beautiful drum!

hauk
08-09-2007, 08:22 PM
I can't say I think the golden ratio will dramatically improve the sound of a snare, but I do think your drum looks absolutely amazing. That finish is top notch and out of the norm, and the offset lug inserts really give the drum character. Nice work.

miikka
08-16-2007, 05:03 AM
I can't say I think the golden ratio will dramatically improve the sound of a snare, but I do think your drum looks absolutely amazing. That finish is top notch and out of the norm, and the offset lug inserts really give the drum character. Nice work.

Thanks for your kind comments!

As far as the Golden Ratio goes, its application to drum building has been a theory of mine for quite a while now. What I really wanted to achieve was a scientific way of proportioning my drums. It's use throughout the history has yielded some amazing creations. It has to work!

Whether it is revolutionary or not, the jury's still out for that at least until I get the kit done. The toms are where I can really reap the benefits. In theory, that is...:D

Here's what I do know, though. I've built enough snare to lose count. Some of them were OK snares and some of the were great snares. The two GR snares that I have built are both in the latter category. Just like any other great instrument, it has to be played, heard and felt in order to determine exactly how great it is.

I took my contest entry to a band rehearsal yesterday and its performance exceeded all my expectations. I think these drums have the sound that I've been looking for. A nice woody crack, not too much ring, full body without sounding too deep, either. The ghostnotes were audible with a lot of snarewire action and the rimshots cut through with ease without choking the drum. I wish I could have heard it from a few feet away.

It was a joy to play! You know the feeling when things just click. This drum is without a doubt my best work so far.

miikka
08-21-2007, 07:38 AM
I'd like to thank everyone who voted for my contest snare. It is truly an honor to be among the top 5 in this buildoff! :)

A big thank you goes to E-dog of GN and Eric of DF to make the contest happen to begin with. Excellent work with minimal confusion!

funk_drum
10-02-2007, 09:59 PM
Late congrats!

I'm having a Vaguhncraft 7x14 Myrtle built. I'm going to try the golden ratio formula for mounting the lugs. From what I can tell, on a single tube lug like you used (I was going to do that too), I'm at 4 5/8-ish from the top edge. Or bottom edge I guess. I'm also toying with alternating the lugs...wonder if that will screw up the golden ratio?

miikka
10-03-2007, 05:06 AM
Late congrats!

I'm having a Vaguhncraft 7x14 Myrtle built. I'm going to try the golden ratio formula for mounting the lugs. From what I can tell, on a single tube lug like you used (I was going to do that too), I'm at 4 5/8-ish from the top edge. Or bottom edge I guess. I'm also toying with alternating the lugs...wonder if that will screw up the golden ratio?

Thanks and I'm happy that you found the Golden Ratio to be of inspiration!

4 5/8" is not going to place the lug at he Golden Point. It's close but about 7.6mm off. The Golden Point is at 109.880mm so that would place the lug at 67.92mm, or roughly 2 2/3" from the bottom edge. I like to use millimeters instead of inches because the math done in Metric system is so much more accurate! Here's the formula: (Depth x .618) - Depth = Golden Point.

Alternating the lugs is not going to screw up the ratio. They're still located at the Golden Points depending on how you look at the drum.

Post some photos when you get started!

funk_drum
10-03-2007, 09:42 AM
Thanks and I'm happy that you found the Golden Ratio to be of inspiration!

4 5/8" is not going to place the lug at he Golden Point. It's close but about 7.6mm off. The Golden Point is at 109.880mm so that would place the lug at 67.92mm, or roughly 2 2/3" from the bottom edge. I like to use millimeters instead of inches because the math done in Metric system is so much more accurate! Here's the formula: (Depth x .618) - Depth = Golden Point.

Alternating the lugs is not going to screw up the ratio. They're still located at the Golden Points depending on how you look at the drum.

Post some photos when you get started!

Ahh crap...
Ok, so I need to put the lug at 2 2/3 from the bottom edge? I guess I didn't have the math right. I'd better call Robert at Allstar again.

miikka
10-03-2007, 09:52 AM
Ahh crap...
Ok, so I need to put the lug at 2 2/3 from the bottom edge? I guess I didn't have the math right. I'd better call Robert at Allstar again.

2 2/3 is going to put the lug at 67.73mm from the bottom, or from the top if you reverse it. The actual Golden Point is at 67.92 which is so little off you're going to lose it in drilling anyhow. Give Robert metric measurements, that's how he is programming his machine anyhow.

What kind of lugs are you doing? Solids or with inserts? Remember you have to center the tension rods receivers within the depth of the shell and not lose the Golden Point.

funk_drum
10-03-2007, 09:57 AM
2 2/3 is going to put the lug at 67.73mm from the bottom, or from the top if you reverse it. The actual Golden Point is at 67.92 which is so little off you're going to lose it in drilling anyhow. Give Robert metric measurements, that's how he is programming his machine anyhow.

What kind of lugs are you doing? Solids or with inserts? Remember you have to center the tension rods receivers within the depth of the shell and not lose the Golden Point.

I'm doing a lug a lot like yours. Single point off-set tubes. I've always liked that look, and maybe will alternate them.